Starting from Wetzlar, the route climbs up to the castle ruins of Kalsmunt. Moreover, you will walk through the nature and bird sanctuary Weinberg to get to the picturesque town of Wetzlar. Although this stage is rather short, it has a lot to offer.
Distance 13 km
History and stories characterize today's stage. In the past Kalsmunt castle ruins protected Wetzlar and the "Hohe Straße" which used to be a very important trade route from Köln to Frankfurt. In the nature and bird sanctuary Weinberg, nature and landscape lovers will feel very comfortable. The protected area is home to many rare animal and plant species and, as in the past, is still grazed with sheep. Three to four times a year a wandering shepherd moves across the meadows with more than 800 animals. The destination of this stage is the scenic Braunfels with its fairytale castle, the old town and the Herrengarten.
Definitely visit Braunfels castle with a guided tour: www.schloss-braunfels.de
Update: July 01, 2021
Rest StopKonditorei Vogel
Safety informationFor information on diversions and relocations, please see our "Current Information".
Information on restrictions in the rail network can be found here.
Tips and hintswww.facebook.com/lahnwanderweg
Domplatz 8, 35578 Wetzlar
Lahntal Tourismus Verband e.V.
Brückenstraße 2, 35576 Wetzlar
Tel. 06441/30998-0, Fax 03212/1239508
Getting thereB49 to Wetzlar or L3025 from Leun to Braunfels
Parking"Lahnufer" in Wetzlar or at the north side of the railway station; in Braunfels below castle.
32U 464636 5600485
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentOrdinary hiking equipment required. Take backpack vespers and drinks with you.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view