In a good mood, the view of the twin castles takes you up to the Frauenkreuz, through the wide Lahn meadows to Garbenheim and magnificent views from the Bismarckturm. Finally, Wetzlar will be waiting for you.
Distance 16.4 km
When saying goodbye to Rodheim-Bieber, enjoy the view of the castle ruins of Vetzberg and Gleiberg once again. Today's stage passes the venerable Frauenkreuz and leads to the Römerforum in the village of Waldgirmes. Take a leisurely walk through the Lahnauen to Garbenheim where you can enjoy a wonderful view of the previous part of the route at the Bismarckturm (unfortunately closed at the moment). Finally, you can stroll through the Ilmenau Anlage (park) down to the historic old town of Wetzlar. What a wonderful hiking day!
The detour to the site of the Römerforum in Waldgirmes is definitely a must. The Lahninsel near Naunheim is a great place to take a break.
Update: October 28, 2021
Safety informationFor information on diversions and relocations, please see our "Current Information".
Information on restrictions in the rail network can be found here.
Tips and hintswww.facebook.com/lahnwanderweg
Domplatz 8, 35578 Wetzlar
Lahntal Tourismus Verband e.V.
Brückenstraße 2, 35576 Wetzlar
Tel. 06441/30998-0, Fax 03212/1239508
Getting thereB3 exit Lollar, A480 and L3286 to Rodheim-Bieber, B49 to Wetzlar,
ParkingIn Wetzlar at "Lahnufer" or railway staiton (north side). Center of Rodheim-Bieber
32U 471575 5607424
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentOrdinary hiking equipment required. Take backpack vespers and drinks with you.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view